Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Price of Urbanization

I miss the old Baguio... I miss the old Tagaytay, back in those days when the air was fresher, the climate was cooler, the view was better and more scenic, less polluted, less populated, no traffic, when there was less noise.

Once upon a time, it was an ultimate dream to have a weekend home in Tagaytay - at least closer to the metropolis (only an hour away), a refuge, a sanctuary. Now I'm not so sure. I still like going to Tagaytay  In fact, we just celebrated Mothers Day there a few days ago in Antonio's. I used to enjoy looking at the scenery overlooking Taal Lake, now it is covered by establishments. Not that there is something wrong with that but these establishments are the same ones you see around the Metro. Why go to Tagaytay to enjoy them?  (I don't need to mention what those are assuming you know by now.) Its much better to try out authentic restaurants/cafe's which you can't find in Metro Manila. My dad shared that during the Marcos era, it is prohibited to put establishments that covered the scenic view. How I wish it was retained that way! It was traffic and Hot! Understandably, its a weekend and its Mothers Day so I guess there were other families just like ours who opted for a quick getaway to celebrate.

Just two months ago, We were in Baguio - considered the summer capital of this country. Surely, there wasn't much difference than how it was last year (the last time I went up before this) but it surely was a different Baguio from about 10-12 years ago. It used to be ok to park your car along Session Road or walk along it without the fear of  having something stolen from your car or pocket. Now, it smells, its congested and filthy. So many houses in the valleys not like before. Like Tagaytay, you can find establishments here that we have in Manila. The old Baguio didn't need a mall then, now, there is SM. I'm not saying there is something wrong with that. There used to be no need for color-coding, now they implement the scheme because it was just too much. Too much cars, too much people and its not that cold anymore and it wasn't even summer yet. Can you imagine being in Baguio during holy week or summer vacation? I can't and rather I won't. I just find it stressful. I'd rather have a staycation... I am not one who loves the crowd.

Modernization or Urbanization for that matter is not bad. Especially good for the capitalist who invest on it. But there is a price to pay definitely... pollution, population, climate change and the list go on....

Baguio (Session Road) then...


No comments:

Post a Comment