Thursday, February 24, 2011

25 years after...

Today, we commemorate what happened in Edsa in 1986 when there was a show of collective unity to achieve freedom. We showed the world that it is possible to restore democracy in a bloodless manner. I was too young and too sheltered to be involved then but I did understand what the people stood for and it does make me proud to be a Filipino. There was a clamor for change and hearts full of hope.

Where are we now, 25 years after? I look at the world around me and this is what i see : The rich get richer, the poor gets poorer, the justice system sucks, Corruption is so massive that it is worst that how it was 25 years ago. People have lost their hope. The much coveted freedom that was fought for then seems used and abused for the wrong reasons - all for personal gain.

I just pray that people will cherish the freedom that we are currently enjoying and while doing so, not forget that with this freedom comes responsibility and accountability for the love of this country and all its people. May we not forget the essence of Edsa 25 years ago and may hope rise in the people once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment