Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What do we value as a family? ...

I saw this post from a Pastor in my FB and it made me think of this. What are the core values that we have as a family? Just like any organization which has a mission/vision statement, a family should also have something to live by that glues them together. I thought of asking my dad but somehow, never got to talk to him about it but I asked my siblings for their inputs. Here is what we came up with :

1. Unity - Dad always reminded us time and again that we should always be united in making major decisions concerning the family specifically. What should work should work for the good of all of us not just one of us. We are each others greatest ally, not enemies. We've got each others back covered. We are Team "V".

2. Loyalty - Our allegiance and devotion belong to each other first and foremost. We may not always agree on the same things but we know where our loyalties lie and we will stand by each other no matter what circumstance, good or bad. We draw strength from each other.

3. Time - No matter how our lives get busy and how far we are from each other, we give each other time. Giving time is another way of saying " You are valuable to me" and spending time equates to showing how important we are to each other, that we are a priority to one another and that we put a premium in family togetherness. We never miss out on occasions, Sunday dinners, spontaneous eat outs or malling, travelling, webcamming, text or a phone call.

4. Humor - The secret to enjoying each others company is our capacity to make each other laugh. We like being together even if we don't do anything special. It is always fun.

5. Generosity - Our dad is a generous dad and he gives the best gifts. He is also generous in extending help to those in need. He raised us not to be selfish and greedy. We are encouraged to share. Bawal madamot.

6. Love - We have so much love for each other that it overflows. This is where our security and affirmation comes from and we never let a chance pass that we are unable to express it in different forms. We are imperfect people, we all have our individual faults but its the love that makes us forgive and accept each other.

These are the things that I think we value as a family. We are blessed to have each other. Someday, when I have my own family to raise with thy beloved, I will impart these and more to my children ( the more has yet to be resolved... hehehe).

No comments:

Post a Comment