Friday, January 29, 2010

" Renewable" Marriage? What the !@#&!

Recently, I read in the news that there is a proposal to Congress for "renewable" marriages. Errr, Isn't it that Marriage is for life? Reason is that there are many people trapped in unhappy and loveless marriage. How sad! So now, they want to give them an option if they are not satisfied. Their justification : Annulment cases are piling up and to save un-couples the tedious process of going through an annulment. If after 10 years, you are still in love and happy then good for you. All you have to do is to notify some government agency, NSO ba? that you wish for your marriage to be renewed. Otherwise, on your 10th year, your vows automatically become null and void. In other words, its just going to be like some product with an expiration date. This is surprising for a predominantly catholic country who recognizes the sanctity of marriage.

While I may agree that this is a free country and everybody is entitled to their own views of the matter. Let me put in my two cents worth : I'm not being Idealistic here but I believe that Marriage is a commitment and its for life until death do you part. If this bill gets passed, it will make it just very easy for people who are blinded by their feelings to just get married for the heck of it even if they are unprepared anyway, there is always an option to get out. Marriage comes with preparation holistically and entails maturity and the desire to live out your vows : " For richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health..." and of course, unconditional love. While it may still a choice before you say "I do", it becomes a decision one makes after the vows. Divorce or separation is not an option... for me at least. When I say, I do... its for life...

No comments:

Post a Comment