Thursday, April 1, 2010

Of Past Birthdays and Easter...

Oh I am so happy that my birthday did not fall on holy week this year. There were years when my birthday would fall on either of the 4 days, usually Black Saturday. Back when I was a practicing Catholic, my birthday was not fun because we were not allowed to have fun, we cannot party, we cannot even eat meat. ( Ooh, I love Steak!) - torture... Instead, we would join a procession, pray, go to mass,  do stations of the cross, listen to the seven last words. There were also years when I birthday would fall on an Easter Sunday... Happier times. The highlight of my birthday party would be an Easter Egg Hunt, giving away a pet bunny for a prize or colored chicks for giveaways. =)

Last year, my birthday almost fell on another holy week. I opted to celebrate earlier ( during Black Saturday since we didn't go anywhere anyway) by sponsoring a feeding program for kids (with plastic eggs with candies inside and loot bags for giveaways) then the next day ( Easter Sunday)  letting my friends unleash their creativity,competitive streak and child within them asking them to decorate their own Easter Eggs and giving away prizes... That was fun indeed.

Now I don't have plans yet for my upcoming birthday. Maybe, I will opt for a quiet, simple celebration. Its more than enough to have my family (except for my brother-in-law) here complete on my special day. I couldn't ask for anything more or could I? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment